Monday 9 December 2019

Just in case you were unaware ... my book is out!

If you follow me on Twitter you will probably know this ... but my popular science book, Your Voice Speaks Volumes: it's not what you say but how you say it (OUP), is now available at places where books are sold.  It was out in the UK in October and I understand it's officially launched in the US in January.

This is the book I have always wanted to write, and is about how the way you speak represents you as a person.  It mainly focuses on English English, and there are chapters about accents and accentism, male and female speaker differences, voice quality, professional voice users (singers, speakers, broadcasters and voice coaches), forensic phonetics, transgender voice and synthetic voices, and global English voices.

Here's a lovely promo video - including an endorsement from David Crystal!


I've also had a super review from Lynne Murphy on her blog, Separated by a Common Language, and several supportive tweets (including from former students). It seems to be making it on to Christmas wish lists!

You can also watch a video of me giving a talk about the book at Google London here:


OK so this post is basically a blatant bit of self-promotion ... but if I don't do it, who will, eh? Well, Oxford University Press, in fact, who have been getting me all sorts of interesting gigs. Thank you!

I hope you enjoy the videos and links. If nothing else, it's definitely worth looking at Lynne's blog.

1 comment: